Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Summer Reading

Summer reading is much better when you get to choose your own books.  I've always loved to read and wish I had more time to spend curled up with stacks of novels.  I've read some great books this summer (and a couple of duds).  Here is my summer reading summary:

Khaled Hosseini is one of my favorite authors.  He wrote "The Kite Runner" and "A Thousand Splendid Suns".  I love that he was a doctor and just decided to start writing and all 3 of his books have turned into bestsellers.  He likens his medical profession as being a sort of "arranged marriage" for him so I'm glad he's had so much success with his books!  Of the three, "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is my favorite of his.  But the first chapter of "And the Mountain Echoed" made me cry, it is such a beautiful story.  Read all 3 of his books!



I've read other novels by Gillian Flynn and most of the time, she is too dark and twisted for me.  But I loved this book.  A man's wife disappears and the reader doesn't know who or what to believe.  Suspenseful and unpredictable for sure!


My favorite book of the summer by far. Such a sweet memior from Jackie Kennedy's secret service agent.  A great glimpse into the private Kennedy world.  Hard to read knowing how sad it will all end.


This novel spans the 20th century in rural Texas.  An epic story of 3 families and how their tragic choices affect each other.  Mary Toliver inherits the Toliver land and plantation and has to choose between the land she loves and the man she can't live without :)  (I've read it 3 times).


Disappointing.  I didn't care about any of the characters and didn't feel like much was resolved in the end.  Makes me want to move to Maine but that's about it.


Have to say this one wasn't impressive either.  I can't believe it was a national bestseller.  I think the author tried to do too much with too many characters.  In the end, I was exhausted and didn't care how it ended, just wanted to be done.

Can't wait to transition from reading by the pool to reading under a blanket by the fire. Fall is almost here!         LFT

No comments :

Post a Comment